Bikesboro engages in five main activities:
1. Bikesboro provides a community service of removing unwanted surplus bicycles in Greensboro. We work with public agencies, nonprofits, bike shops, and individuals to locate, move, and sort the bicycles. We then repair about half the bikes for reuse and recycle the rest as either scrap or as art.
2. Bikesboro works with charities and social service providers to find clients who need used bicycles, and then we supply them. We primarily focus on helping immigrants, refugees, and poorer residents on Greensboro. The Bikesboro Bike Coop aims to collect and repair used bikes to give to newly arriving residents from other countries and to other disadvantaged communities in Greensboro. We are building partnerships with Church World Service, UNCG, the Summit Rotary Club of Greensboro, Action Greensboro, the City of Greensboro and other partners. If you have bikes to donate we will gladly accept and rehab them to be given to clients for free through our partners.
3. Bikesboro does focused advocacy for local bicycle infrastructure improvements. We are the primary advocates for bicycles-as-transportation users in Greensboro. We work with LimeBike (bike share), the Piedmont Fat Tire Society (off-road trails and urban-rural connections), and Action Greensboro (downtown protected bike lanes and paths) to pressure city staff and elected officials.
4. Bikesboro maps existing routes that local bicyclists use, as part of a community-led bicycle plan. Our Greensboro Bicycle Mapping Project aims to identify existing bike routes that community members currently use and where improvements are most critical.
5. Bikesboro does long-term planning. The Greensboro Community Active-Transportation plan (G-CAT), is a citizen-lead bicycle, transit, and pedestrian master plan. Our project aims to identify and prioritize infrastructure that supports a system of local bicycling, walking, and transit networks, including protected bike lanes on Gate City Boulevard.
Bikesboro is built upon a partnership of proactive community members who both advocate for needed improvements and rehabilitate used bicycles.
As active volunteers, we have fun doing the projects we are passionate about.
Please visit the Donations page to learn more about how to help!